Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A Mother's Embrace

Justin Wilson
3/17/86 - 3/20/10
As I watched, a mother buried her son today. As I stood, a mother’s arms ached to hold her child again, as if the simple gesture alone could restore him to life. Yet, I couldn’t help but picture my nephew, Justin in his mother’s arms. To me, it was a comforting thought, seemed like the safest place to be, out of harms way, he would have liked that, she would have liked that. .

As mothers, we hand over our children many, many times, whether to a relative, babysitter, teacher, coach, college or as in this case, the military. This is one of the most difficult things we have to do. I believe mothers comply reluctantly but would never wholeheartedly place a child out of her sight. I don’t care how old you are, you don’t rest unless all your children are present and accounted for. So this concept of “letting go” is one we struggle with. Embracing or hugging is how we show our children that if it were up to us, we would never let them go.

A mother’s embrace is a powerful thing; never to be underestimated. It is the simplest and most symbolic gesture of motherly love. So hug early and often. Cherish the gift you were given today and everyday because as I was reminded this week, we never know when our gift will be called back home.